.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Philippines 2016
Court of Appeals 80th Anniversary



COUNTRY: PHILIPPINES
ISSUE DATE: 1 February 2016
STAMP SIZE: 30 x 40 mm
STAMP DESIGN: Victorino Z. Serevo






Stamp issued by Philippines Post (PHLPOST )depicts Court of Appeals building and official seal to commemorate 80th anniversary of this institution.

The Philippines Court of Appeals, second highest tribunal of the land, was created on February 1, 1936 by virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 3 promulgated on December 31, 1935 with its eleven (11) Judges with Pedro Concepcion as the first Presiding Judge.

The Court's main building, which was the pre-war College of Engineering Building of the University of the Philippines, was partially, razed by fire in 2007 has been repaired, renovated and modernized in keeping with the dignity befitting its stature.


Being the second highest court of the land, the Court of Appeals handles around 90% of all cases elevated to the third level courts which cases often involve complicated issues and voluminous records, thus sharpening the skills and enhancing the proficiency of Court of Appeals Justices in almost all fields of law.
The seal of the Court of Appeals is composed of two ovals with the following elements: at the center of the inner oval, the 1946 coat of arms of the Republic in its center, the scales of justice and sword on the upper background; and a branch of laurel on each side of the foot of the coat of arms; whereas, the garlands "Republic of the Philippines" surround the upper arch of the outer oval and "Court of Appeals" on the lower arch. Below the oval is the Court's motto, justitia per legem.








Stamp images thanks to PHLPOST
PHLPOST