.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Philippines 2016 - Municipality of Tiaong Quezon: 325th Founding Anniversary






COUNTRY: PHILIPPINES
ISSUE DATE: 14 May 2016
STAMP SIZE: 40 x 30 mm
STAMP DESIGN: Victorino Z. Serevo




More than three hundred years ago, Tiaong was only a part of the municipality of San Pablo (now a city) in the province of Laguna. In 1691, it became an independent municipality through the efforts of philanthropic, humanitarian nationalistic and a very religious woman living at the outskirts of the town called "Lalig". Popularly known as "Donya Toting", her habitual chore was to go to church everyday riding a cart drawn by a big black bull. Her sympathetic gesture and attitude most especially among the poor, made her dearly loved and respected by the people that they called her "Tiya" (Auntie). Even the parish priest would not start the mass not unless the loud mooing of the bull-"Oooong" can be heard while entering the churchyard. The admirable address of "Tiya" and the favorable sound "Oooong" merged together gave name to the municipality of Tiaong. Henceforth, this town is called Tiaong (Tiya-ong). 

FIRST DAY COVER

The local government during the Spanish time was headed by a Gobernadorcillo who was the Local Chief Executive assisted by Tenyente Mayor, a Juez de Sementera, a Juez de Ganados, a Juez de Palayan and a Juez de Polisya, under the supervision of the Governador General. The first Gobernadorcillo was Don Francisco Magdami in 1691. The church was built by Franciscan Missionaries in the 1670, erected northeast of the town confronting Burgos St. now Escudero St., which is now the oldest, longest and biggest church in the provice of Tayabas (now Quezon). 

Most of the people of Tiaong are Batanguenos coming from the province of Batangas, particularly from the town of San Jose lbaan, Rosario, Bauan, Taal and Lipa City. Tiaong is more or less 15,239 hectares (16,838 unofficial and not yet confirmed). Originally, there are only 14 barrios namely: Bona, Bula, Bulakin, Cabata,, Cabay, Lagalag, Lalig, Lusacan, Paiisa, Quipot, Buliran, Callejon, Niing, and Pury. The last four barrios were separated when Buliran became an independent municipality on October 15, 1957 and was then named San Antonio, Quezon. 
The first school was organized by the friars which was housed in a convent where only male pupils from 7 to 14 years of age were admitted. After 50 years, female pupils of same group were allowed to enroll when the Gobernor General ordered the friars not to solemnize marriages unless they have learned to pray. 



Agriculture was the main sources of income and livelihood from 1690 to 1790. The Juez de Sementera required the people to plant palsy, corn, mongo, etc., and was also encouraged to raise animals. Most men were engaged in blacksmith work to make garden and carpentry tools, while the women did the weaving, flour making, extracting oils and cooking supplemental foods. During the Spanish regime, a secret revolutionary group was organized in Tiaong, which was affiliated to the KKK of Andres Bonificio and led by Ladislao Masangkay and other brave nationalistic men of the municipality. This group fought the Spaniards and continued their heroic ventures up to the American occupation. 


On January 14, 1900, the municipality of Tiaong was conquered by American invaders under the command of Gen. Schwan. The United States established its first civil government in the Philippines with William Howard Taft as the first Civil Governor of the island while Don Pedro P. Cantos, was appointed as the first Municipal President of Tiaong. 






Stamp images and description thanks to PHLPOST
PHLPOST